Monday, May 9, 2016

Getting Organised & The Goals Ahead



Eleven years of study, research, and practice in the Pagan “field” can result in quite a mess of documents, books, writings, information, and resources. Add to that the academic pursuit of religious study (in the same “field”) and the various changes and evolutions of one’s personal path and you’ve got a chaotic hoard of information that needs to be organized, filtered and evaluated.


Part of that is finally designing a proper “grimoire” where I can include all sorts of things regarding the Triskelion. Since doing so physically (i.e. in an actual book) tends to be unviable since you can’t really guess how much space you will need for each section and binders get too messy for me, I decided to make it digital. Therefore, I’m compiling all Triskelion-related information in an OneNote notebook. At the same time, I’ll still use my current physical notebooks; I’ll simply use the digital “grimoire” as a “master textbook” of sorts. I will also keep recording relevant information in the Hekataion, as I am obliged to do in my devotional duties.


Here’s the outline I’m using:

Book of the Triskelion


Eisagogikon («Εσαγωγικόν» - “Introductory”)
Liturgy I: Hieratikon («Ἱερατικόν» - “Book of the sacred/of the priest”)
Liturgy II: Hymnologion («Ὑμνολόγιον» - “Hymnal”)
Liturgy III: Theologikon («Θεολογικόν» - “Theological”)
Hemerologion («Ἡμερολόγιον» - “Diary/journal/calendar”)


The Eisagogikon is comprised of the title page (which includes the declaration of intent for the book and a dedication prayer), a contents page, and an additional page with a summary of the Triskelion as well as a short bio of mine.


The Liturgy part is divided into three sections, because of how extensive it is. The first section is called Hieratikon and includes all practical material, such as rituals, spells, correspondences and so on. The second section is called Hymnologion and is a collection of hymns, chants, and incantations. The third section is called Theologikon and it includes information and writings on the Gods and Spirits of the Triskelion as well as Triskelion theology essays and articles.


The last part of the book is called Hemerologion and it’s a kind of “free” space: it has notes, a to-do list, a journal for recording my experiences, thoughts, and observations, as well as my religious calendar. I chose to include the calendar in the Hemerologion as opposed to the Hieratikon because of the need for revisions, design, and notes on its development.


In addition to making the Book of the Triskelion, I’m in the – long and arduous – process of checking, clearing, and organizing my resources (books, articles, writings etc). There’s a veritable nest of folders filled to the brim with material I have accumulated over the years. Moreover, I’ve got a huge number of saved bookmarks and most of them are uncategorized!


This kind of “Spring cleaning” is necessary because the clutter I’m dealing with all this time only serves to hinder me, especially when it comes to doing research (hunting for references and citations is hell when you don’t know where or even if you have what you’re looking for). My plan is to categorise my material and resources based on their general subject, such as “Research/Religious Studies”, “Triskelion”, “Paganism”, “Witchcraft” and so forth.


Beyond organization, I have a number of goals for the near future and many of them are relevant to this blog. For starters, I have two devotional projects underway, which will be published on this blog in time. They’re the Hymn Project and the Art Project. 


The Hymn Project is, as the name suggests, about writing hymns for a number of deities and spirits of considerable significance for the Triskelion. These hymns will be published here, in addition to exegetical exploration of the why and how behind them (e.g. meanings and reasons for the epithets used, intent and uses of the hymns etc).


The Art Project revolves around making paintings/drawings of various Gods and Spirits of the Triskelion, with the intent of honouring them as well as creating my own “sacred images” for the worship of those Gods. I will probably write interpretations and explanations for those art pieces as well.


Furthermore, I want to post on this blog at least twice per week and, more importantly, I want to stick to doing that, even when I’m not terribly motivated or inspired. I also have two more projects I’m working on, which will probably follow the Hymn and Art ones. These are a 101-type collection of articles and a series of religious research papers. As I’ve mentioned before, I might expand those and turn them into e-books. We’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment