Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My Religious Calendar

As an active follower of Hellenic Polytheism (as opposed to purely academic or arm-chair follower) I have various sacred days I observe and note. I am still in the process of creating a full calendar of sacred days. Specifically, I have solidified the sacred month model (a Gregorian-based version of the Attic lunar month) and certain annual sacred days. Still, I have to expand the annual observances to include other important deities (and festivals!) in my practice.

Here's the calendar's form so far:

1st of each month: Noumenia (Household deities and Selene)
2nd of each month: Agathos Daemon
3rd of each month: Athena
4th of each month: Aphrodite, Eros, Herakles, Hermes
5th of each month: (originally an "empty" day as there are no or few known festivals on this date) Hekate and the local Nymphs
6th of each month: Artemis
7th of each month: Apollon
8th of each month: Poseidon, Theseus

New Moon: Hekate, Selene
Full Moon: Selene

Final day of each month: Hekate (Hekate's Deipnon)

Annual Festivals:

Spring Equinox
April 1st, 2nd, 3rd (Artemis' Days)
May Day
Summer Solstice
August 13th (Hekate's Fires)
Autumn Equinox
October 31st/November 1st (Samhain) - Hekate's Night/Blades
November 16th (Hekate's Keys)
November 30th (Great Hekate's Deipnon - Hekate's Ropes)
Winter Solstice
New Year's Eve/Day

I want to incorporate more traditional Hellenic festivals such as Anthesteria. This however requires research and careful, thoughtful modification.

No comments:

Post a Comment